The council have announced that some people who are shielding in Blackburn & Darwen will need to continue shielding until 21st September and people in the “eight lockdown wards” will need to wait until a review on the 23rd September before hearing any news.
Clinically extremely vulnerable patients in the eight targeted wards in North East Blackburn who are currently on the Shielded Patient List are advised to continue to stay at home until September 23rd when there will be a further review.
Those who live in the other wards in Darwen and Blackburn which are not classed as high risk are advised that shielding is being relaxed from September 21st.
While levels of the Covid-19 virus are falling across the borough, they are still higher in the eight wards in North East Blackburn than the rest of the country. Letters will be sent to all residents advising them which shielding advice to follow to avoid any confusion.
The eight affected wards where residents are advised to stay shielding and following the guidance because the levels of the virus remain high are:
- Audley & Queen’s Park
- Bastwell & Daisyfield
- Billinge & Beardwood
- Blackburn Central
- Little Harwood & Whitebirk
- Roe Lee
- Shear Brow & Corporation Park
- Wensley Fold
This is in line with the continuation of other special measures including not socialising with other households.
If you live in Darwen and the wards in Blackburn where the additional restrictions were lifted last month, then shielding restrictions are being relaxed on September 21. However, people are advised not to travel to the eight wards in North East Blackburn as the levels of the virus are too high.
Councillor Mohammed Khan, Leader of the Blackburn with Darwen Council, said:
I want to again thank all our communities who are supporting our efforts to control the virus. We know it has been extremely difficult but we are seeing results as the levels of virus are falling in some areas. As a result, we are able to relax the shielding guidance in those wards. I would ask the people in the eight North East wards to continue to follow the guidance rigorously in order to protect our most vulnerable and save lives.”
Dr Qashuf Hussain, Deputy Medical Director for Blackburn with Darwen and East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Groups, said:
Clinically extremely vulnerable people are at high risk of suffering severe illness if they contract Coronavirus. The guidance is therefore for them to shield. I would strongly recommend that anyone in this category, that receives a text or a letter, should follow the guidance.
If you are currently in receipt of medicine deliveries or care through the national shielding service, you will continue to receive this support until 21st September and 23rd September for those who are continuing to shield. Priority supermarket delivery slots provided by seven supermarkets will also continue too for those already signed up for support.
If a patient who needs to shield hasn’t received a letter but needs evidence for their employer, they can email email@example.com.
If you need or are currently in receipt of support through Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council this will remain available to support you to remain at home until the date you have been given.