As we celebrate the Queen’s 70 years on the throne, we have taken a look back at what Blackburn was like in the decade that Princess Elizabeth first became Queen.
All images are courtesy of BwD Council and the cottontown.org project
King William Street, formerly known as Livesey Street, it was opened up in 1932, several ancient houses being demolished to give access to the old market place. A policeman was […]
Erected in the mid 18 Century. Richard Cardwell lived here, grandfather of Viscount Cardwell, M.P. For Clitheroe in 1842. Now the home of Age UK
Leyland Mansion, King Street. Erected 1745 by William Leyland, founder of the Girls Charity School, Thunder Alley. Later it was the residence of W.H. Hornby.
Looking up Montague Street form the King Street end. The upper part was once known as Branch Road. At the top can be seen the spire of Trinity Wesleyan Chapel.
Prize winning float in the 1951 Centenary Celebrations Coming from Blakey Moor onto Northgate. Notice the “Player’s Please” cigarette flag.