As we celebrate the Queen’s 70 years on the throne, we have taken a look back at what Blackburn was like in the decade that Princess Elizabeth first became Queen.
All images are courtesy of BwD Council and the cottontown.org project
Looking up Montague Street form the King Street end. The upper part was once known as Branch Road. At the top can be seen the spire of Trinity Wesleyan Chapel.
A view of a busy Blackburn Boulevard in the 1950’s. The Railway Station is on the right with the Star and Garter public house to the left of it. Syd
The interior of the Market Hall. The Palatine café was very popular with the shoppers of Blackburn
Erected in the mid 18 Century. Richard Cardwell lived here, grandfather of Viscount Cardwell, M.P. For Clitheroe in 1842. Now the home of Age UK
Blackburn Market place from Victoria Street. The street on the right is Market Place. it is a non market day and the market square is being used as a car
Prize winning float in the 1951 Centenary Celebrations Coming from Blakey Moor onto Northgate. Notice the “Player’s Please” cigarette flag.
King William Street, formerly known as Livesey Street, it was opened up in 1932, several ancient houses being demolished to give access to the old market place. A policeman was
Weights & Measures Inspectors at E. H. Booths at their original grocery store in Blackburn
Leyland Mansion, King Street. Erected 1745 by William Leyland, founder of the Girls Charity School, Thunder Alley. Later it was the residence of W.H. Hornby.
Looking at the north side of Blackburn Cathedral from the old burial ground. The Lantern Tower is still to be built.
Blackburn Cathedral taken from the Boulevard in the 1950s. The Extension is just being built.
Holy Trinity Church Procession of Witness, proceeding along Primrose Bank.
A view of Whitebirk Power Station from across the fields to the South. The fourth and final cooling tower is under construction. December 10 1951
Richmond Terrace. When first laid out these Regency Houses were named West Street. Joseph Jardine, a Blackburn Poet was born here in 1819
Blackburn Boulevard in the 1950’s. The bus shelters have yet to be built. The railway station and Palace Theatre can be seen.
Council houses on Kelsall Avenue, Little Harwood. The estate was built in 1948-49 near to Philips Road and the Mullards Factory.